Our Training Services
As the designated certifying body for all county Public Administrators, Public Guardians and Public Conservators in California, we provide a variety of professional trainings to help prepare our members to meet the rigorous demands of the job. Our trainings are guided by our Standards & Certification policy document found here.
Certification criteria and types are broken down as follows. For more information on California legislation requiring certification through the Association please click here.
- Member in good standing of the Association (payment of County fee as well as current in individual membership dues for all years covered under certification)
- 40 credit hours of continuing education every 4 years. The training must be given by a provider, which has been approved by the Association at least 30 days in advance of the date of training
If a member does not meet the 40 hour requirement in 4 years, they are noted in the system as non-certified and to be in compliance must by the end of the second four-year period meet 40 hours in the 4 years as well as any additional hours not completed in the prior 4-year certification window.
Example: If a member completes 35 certification hours in a 4-year window, the subsequent 4-year certification window would be the standard 40 hours required as well as the additional 5 hours not completed in the prior certification window. This penalty is cumulative each 4-year cycle.
Training courses are approved based on criteria set forth by the Association related to expected program proficiencies and core competencies the Association feels are critical for PA|PG|PC’s to be effective in their work. Course definitions are broken down by the following criteria:
- Who is Delivering the Course: Is the course being given by the Association and/or affiliated PA|PG|PC program office or an outside entity? AND
- What is the Training Topic: Does the training address a PA|PG|PC program core competency or a more generalized PA|PG|PC proficiency?
Course definitions include:
- Competency Training (formerly In-house Training): Any training, course, workshop or other form of professional training organized and hosted by the Association’s Executive Office or PA|PG|PC County office which meets one or more PA|PG|PC program competency as outlined in CA PA|PG|PC’s Standards & Certification document
- Proficiency Training (formerly Outside Training): Any training, course, workshop or other form of professional training that meets one or more PA|PG|PC proficiencies outlined in CA PA|PG|PC’s Standards & Certification document or other related topic/skill set to be approved by the Standards & Certification Committee. The training may be presented by a County PA|PG|PC member or any other outside entity/organization
- Online Training: Any training, course, workshop or other form of professional training that is offered on the Association’s proprietary Learning Management System (LMS)
The Association charges a certification fee for all trainings to support our costs. The current certification fee is $10 Per Person/Per Course Hour irrelevant of type of training being taken.
Important Note: No more than:
- Seven (7) online credit hours may be accumulated in any four (4)-year period as approved by the Association
- Seven (7) proficiency credit hours may be accumulated in any four (4)-year period as approved by the Association
- Credits received for competency trainings are not limited, provided the Association has approved such trainings