Our Training Services
As the designated certifying body for all county Public Administrators, Public Guardians and Public Conservators in California, we provide a variety of professional trainings to help prepare our members to meet the rigorous demands of the job.
The Association charges a certification fee for all trainings to support our costs. Current certification fees are as follows:
- Regional or In-house County Training: $5 Per Person/per Course Hour
- Outside Training not Sponsored by a County or by CA PA|PG|PC: $30 Per Person/per Course
Important Note: No more than twelve (12) credit hours, accumulated in a four year period, may be obtained from training courses offered online or from other outside sources, as approved by the Association. Credits received from regional trainings or in-house trainings are not limited, provided such trainings are approved by the Association.
For specific details and history on the Association’s certification requirements you can review the approved Standards & Certification Process.
Certification criteria and types are broken down as follows.
PLEASE NOTE: new certification criteria went into effect July 1, 2017. Click here to learn more.
- Member in good standing of the Association (payment of membership dues and county fees current)
- Compliance with and upholding of the Code of Ethics of the Association
- 40 credit hours of continuing education every 4 years. The training must be given by a provider, which has been approved by the Association at least 30 days in advance of the date of training
If a member does not meet the 40 hour requirement in 4 years, they are noted in the system as non-certified and to be in compliance must by the end of the second four-year period meet 40 hours in the 4 years as well as any additional hours not completed in the prior 4-year certification window.
Example: If a member completes 35 certification hours in a 4-year window, the subsequent 4-year certification window would be the standard 40 hours required as well as the additional 5 hours not completed in the prior certification window. This penalty is cumulative each 4-year cycle.
- Outside Training: Any training, course, workshop or other form of professional training that is not presented by the Association, but which is given by another entity.
- In-house Training: Any training, course, workshop or other form of professional training that is presented by a Public Administrator, Public Guardian or Public Conservator office for its deputies and staff.
- Regional Training: Any training, course, workshop or other form of professional training that is presented by either the Executive Office or a Regional representative from one of the 5 designated regions of the Association.